Wireless fences are much simpler to setup than an in-ground physical fence. I review the best wireless dog fences available on the market today.
The electric pet fence was invented way back in 1973 by a guy called Richard Peck. Technology has come a long way since those days, of course, and nowadays wireless dog fences are available. These have one big advantage over traditional electric dog fences: they are much easier to install with no need to dig and install a boundary wire. Below I take a look at some of the best wireless dog fences.
Best wireless dog fences
PetSafe wireless dog and cat containment system
- 1/2 Acre of Circular Coverage: The adjustable circular range can cover up to 1/2 acres from the placement of the Portable indoor transmitter
- No Wire to Bury: A wireless boundary allows you to create a secure barrier around your yard to protect your pets without the time or hassle of burying wires
- Static-Free Reentry: Unlike traditional in-ground fences, this wireless fence allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- Simple Set-up: Sets up in just a few hours; this Portable system is terrific for camping and vacation homes
- Waterproof Collar: The waterproof collar comfortably fits dogs 8 pounds and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches; Compatible with all PetSafe Wireless Fence transmitters
- Half-acre coverage.
- Easy installation.
- Personalized coverage from 5 to 90 feet in any direction.
- Adjustable level of correction, including sound-only training mode.
- Long collar battery life of 2 months plus.
- Adjustable collar size.
- Portable so can be used when camping, etc.
- Purchase additional collars to contain any number of dogs.
One of the best-selling wireless electric fence systems for dogs is this PetSafe containment system. There are good reasons for its popularity too. The system allows you to create a secure circular area covering half an acre. The actual area of coverage can be fully customized though, so if your yard is smaller you can adjust the range appropriately in all directions.
Installation is incredibly easy – position the base unit in an appropriate position (this must be weather-proof), plug it in and then adjust the dial to set the required range of coverage. Finally, put the collar on your dog and adjust the settings as required. That’s it – you’re good to go!
JustPet wireless dog fence containment system
- Our wireless fence adopts the latest technology. The receiver will not enable electric shock after the main unit is shut down. However, for other traditional wireless fence, it will electric shock after the main unit is shut down. Leading technology in the industry, it has applied for US patent.
- If you want to stop using the wireless fence, just directly press the ON/OFF key of the main unit. After the main unit is shut down, the receiver does not enable electric shock, which is more convenient to use than other traditional wireless fences. Or occasionally when there is power failure, the receiver will not enable electric shock after the main unit is powered off.
- [Signal stability and accuracy]: The wireless dog fence adopts the international 433MHz channel frequency with dual antenna transmission, and features improved transmission efficiency. The radio wave has stronger penetration and diffraction ability than single antenna, which makes the data transmission distance longer and provides more stable signal for the dog collar receiver at long distance, makes the receiver process and execute actions more accurately and quickly.
- [Waterproof grade reaches IPX7]: The waterproof grade of the dog collar receiver is IPX7, which can be safely used in rainy and humid environments, so that dogs can have fun. With built-in rechargeable battery, it doesn't need to be replaced frequently, and is easy to use with long service life.
- [Considerate design and service]: One main unit can be equipped with several receivers to control each dog separately. The dog which runs out of the set range will receive sound and static electric shock, while other dogs will not. The collar can be adjusted in size from 8-28 inches and is suitable for all sizes (dogs of 10-110 pounds). In addition, it is equipped with two sets of conductive posts of different lengths, which can be freely selected according to the hair.
- 100 levels of control – 10 feet to 100 feet.
- Extremely stable, reliable signal.
- Rechargeable collar battery with long life.
- Can add multiple receiving collars to control several dogs.
The JustPet wireless dog fence is a great product at a great price. It offers 100 levels of control from 10 feet to 1,000 feet, making it suitable for most yards.
The antenna provides an exceptionally strong signal making this a very reliable containment system.
Hokita wireless dog fence
- [Stronger Signal] We use 2.4 GHz technology to provide more stable signals than similar products.There are five levels of control distance:100ft/200ft/300ft/500ft/990ft(radius). The system will customize a circular boundary around the transmitter to limit your dog.
- [Effective & Harmless Working Mode] If the dog exceeds the setting activity range, the dog fence will start the alarm sound & static shock cycling working modes. The receiver keeps working until your dog returns to the setting range. The safe dog fence is an effective and harmless dog fence system wireless to avoid your dogs’ limited activities and lost.
- [Environmentally Friendly Collar & IPX7 Waterproof ] The receiver is IP65 dust-proof and IPX7 waterproof. In order for your dog to enjoy playing in wet places, the collar is designed with environmentally friendly materials. Under normal conditions, it will degrade itself after five years (we will replace the new collar free of charge for life), and the collar is equipped with reflective strips, which can improve the safety of dogs and their visibility at night.
- [Automatic Pairing to Control Multiple Dogs] One transmitter can control as many dogs as you want, at the same time, the transmitter and collar receivers are automatically paired without manual operation.You can choose five different control radius distances: 100/200/300/500/990 feet. The range of the fence is defined as a circle (with selected radius) centered on the transmitter.
- [Thoughtful Design and Service] The receiver operates at a voltage of 3.7V and emits static electricity without harming the dog's hair.There are two sets of conductive columns of different lengths in black silicone covers. You may choose the right conductive column and decide whether to install the silicone cover or not. The silicone covers minimize the stimulation of electric shock to your dog.Your satisfaction is important to us. Please contact us if you have any problems.
- Five different control radii.
- Collar made from environmentally-friendly materials.
- Single controller can control many dogs at the same time.
- Dust-proof receiver.
- Waterproof transmitter.
The Hokito wireless dog fence is another top quality system. It does have less control over the transmission radius than some of the other products here; it has five possible settings – 100, 200, 300, 500 and 1,000 feet. That said the maximum 1,000 foot radius is larger than most wireless dog fences.
PetSafe Stay & Play wireless fence for stubborn dogs
- 3/4 Acre of Circular Coverage: The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (5-105 feet in all directions) from the placement of the Portable indoor transmitter
- No Wire to Bury: A wireless boundary allows you to create a safe barrier around your yard to protect your pets without spending time burying wires
- For Stubborn Dogs: The system features a tone-only mode plus 5 levels of adjustable static correction to appropriately match the temperament of even the most persistent pets
- Static-Free Reentry: Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- Stubborn Dog Stay & Play Collar: System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 pound and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inch
- Suitable for dogs 5 lbs and up so ideal for smaller dogs.
- 5 levels of control on the collar, plus training mode.
- Up to 3/4 acre coverage.
- Static-free re-entry – the dog doesn’t get shocked again on returning within the boundary.
- Waterproof, adjustable collar.
The PetSafe Stay & Play wireless fence is my overall favorite. It provides good coverage over a large enough area, with excellent stability and reception. The smaller minimum size is also great for small dogs.
Multiple levels of correction on the collar allow you to fine-tune the settings to cater for even the most stubborn of dogs, without having an unnecessarily strong setting for those of a less stubborn nature.
To my mind, the PetSafe Stay & Play deserves to be named the best wireless dog fence. It’s range of settings and reliability make it stand out from the crowd. The only limitation is the range it offers. Those requiring a larger area to be covered will have to look elsewhere.
There are a few things to take into consideration when selecting the best wireless dog fence for your circumstances. Here are some things to think about:
The wireless fence you purchase must cover a large enough area for your needs. On the opposite end, you must also be able to configure it with a small enough range for your circumstances. There’s no point in buying a wireless dog fence where the minimum containment boundary is larger than you yard.
Signal strength and reliability
You are relying on the fence to keep your dog safe so it needs to be completely reliable with a consistent signal. You don’t want your dog to be receiving unnecessary static, nor do you want your dog to be able to wander beyond the set boundary if the signal drops.
If your dog does wander beyond the boundary, you want them to be able to safely return without receiving static. If they can’t do so, they will be discouraged from returning and may become distressed.
The best wireless dog fences allow you to adjust the static-strength as not all dogs require the same amount to make them respect the boundary – some dogs are a lot more stubborn than others, some have less hair, some are smaller, etc.
The collar should also obviously be adjustable to suit the size of your dog’s neck.
A good wireless dog fence collar will have a long battery life meaning you don’t have to re-charge as often. In addition, the overall battery lifespan will be greater meaning you don’t have to replace it as frequently.
Dogs are lively, adventurous and messy creatures, which is one of the reasons we love them so much. This means their collar needs to be robust enough to survive their escapades. In particular they need to be made of a strong material and be waterproof.
Multiple dog support
If you have more than one dog, or you’re likely to in the future, it’s important your wireless dog fence supports adding multiple collar transmitters.